Home » News » Housing boost for north Dorset with 42 new homes
north, boost, rental, affordable housing, property, development, new homes for sale, construction, BBC, Dorset, opening doorsNORTH DORSET BOOST: Plan for housing near Bull Tavern in Sturminster Newton

Housing boost for north Dorset with 42 new homes

Planning permissions for 42 new homes have given a housing boost for north Dorset.

A total of 42 new homes have been given the go ahead by North Dorset District Council’s planning committee.

The permissions include the outline development of 17 homes next to the Bull Tavern in Sturminster Newton.

The approval sets out the access, layout and scale of the development and will include a minimum of four affordable homes.

A further application setting the design of the homes will come at a later date.

The development, by Hall & Woodhouse, will also provide investment into the Bull Tavern in an added boost for the community.

Mark Woodhouse, chairman of Hall & Woodhouse, said: “I am delighted that permission to develop the field next to The Bull has been granted as it will help to ensure its future as a public house, one that is dear to me as I had my first illegal pint in it at the age of 14!

“Hall & Woodhouse is committed to reinvesting £500,000 in the site by way of a new home for the Business Partner and a new car park and garden for The Bull.

“Not only does this enhance the pub, it enhances the local community with the provision of new homes including four affordable homes.”

A 25 home development, provide by local developer Wyatt Homes,  has also been approved at Huntley Down in Milborne St Andrew.

The approval sets out all the details within the development including the design, layout and appearance of each home.

The development will provide a total of 10 affordable homes including two 1-bedroom homes, five 2-bedroom homes, and three 3-bedroom homes.

Of these 70 per cent will be for affordable rent, with the remaining 30 per cent intermediate housing (i.e. shared ownership).

Cllr David Walsh, North Dorset District Council’s cabinet member for planning, said: “I am pleased that we have been able to give approval to more new homes in our area, providing a boost to our five year land supply. I look forward to work starting on site.”

HOUSING BOOST

Cllr Graham Carr-Jones, leader of North Dorset District Council and cabinet member for housing, said: “The approval of more homes in the area is welcome. The increased rate of development is a key driver for our Opening Doors Programme.

“As part of this programme, we have opened a Home Ownership register.

“This is giving us real insight into the preferred type and location of housing wanted by residents.

“It also enables us to direct new homes to residents.  I would encourage anyone looking to own their own home to sign the register.”

Find out more about Opening Doors and sign our Home Ownership Register.